Block Island 40 yawl named Seal (from http://www.sailingtexas.com/sblockisland40a.html)
- The grandmother to all Fiberglass sailing vessels built from molds.
- Seal was in fact the plug which the mold was pulled from. LOA 40' 8"
- LWL 29' 2"
- Beam 11' 10" Draft 4' 11"
- Displacement 20,000 lbs.
- Ballast 7,800 lbs.
- Sail Area 738 sq. ft.
- A very interesting story of William Tripp, Jr.'s first design attempt in Glass put together by a Connecticut lawyer who made the deal if the boat would be finished for his entering the Block Island race of 1957.
- The Duponts supplied the Resin and Glass and the whole effort turned out 22 of these open ocean racers. Six of these were in the top ten in the 1961 Newport to Bermuda race.